10.3.11

An Ode to my Dad: B.Powell

Every now and then I have an overwhelming sense of belonging. It doesnt happen often but it did just the other day. At first I didnt know what caused this spark of comfort to occur. Today, however, it occured to me. 

Location: Lumber Yard




Now many people, especially women and tree huggers wouldnt really like lumber yards....especially in Guatemala. Men giving you an extra look maybe even a cat-call...dead trees everywhere. The other day I visited the local lumber yard here in Patzun to buy some materials and for some reason the smells and familiarity of the place simply made my spirit happy. I didn't put two and two together until I went back there this afternoon and thought about this while I was waiting for my receipt to be filled out. Duh Jackie...you freaking grew up in various lumber yards in Madison and Culpeper counties. 

At the heart of it, lumber got me a great education and a million invaluable experiences in life. Lumber is what my dad has hauled up and down the east coast my entire life. Picking up dad from the lumber yard as a kid and taking him home for the weekend is a sweet memory that I hadnt really thought much about until today. 

Scents can tie together forgotten memories and today it was the scent of wood. 

Unfortunately, this post is for my dad when it's my mom's birthday in just two days. But in a way it's for the three of us....happy birthday mom!








No comments: