18.10.10

SO many changes

Once again, crazy is the only way to describe my life over the past two weeks but it’s the good----no even GREAT---type of crazy, don’t worry!

I’ll try to put this in some sort of order but here we go: what APS and I have been working on….

Due to my persistant recommendations, we’re most likely getting two Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteers to Nebaj in March 2012!

The 30 Healthy School/Rotary Club project is coming together poco a poco…

I have been linking together several major organizations (not sure if I should name names?) to work together on school sanitation projects all over the country!

I quickly organized an event in Nebaj’s plaza for Global Handwashing Day on Oct. 15th! Although I was unable to attend and participate it was a HUGE success combining three other organizations around Nebaj and the local public who happened to be passing through the park. What happened? We took flyers and soap to the plaza where people washed their hands in the fountain! Check out the photos!

I was reminded by my wonderful friend Joan that Oct 15th was also Blog Action Day. Blog Action Day picks one topic and elaborates on it. This year’s theme was WATER! Joan shared this link with me, check it out!  Now I’m trying to play catch-up and do my own Blog Action…

I’m going to work on a radio initiative with Cultural Survival to get messages out about hygiene and water issues. The messages will be in Ixil (the language spoken in Nebaj) and possibly other indigenous languages! It’s a great and simple tool to communicate with the local population as in many parts of Guatemala and the WORLD it is the only source of information rural communities have. Celebrate radios!

Another exciting update is that Jodi and Tristian Moss’ hard work back in April as PhotoPhilanthropists has come to fruition on the Peer Water Exchange website! Check it out and especially the links to the stories on the left side! We are excited to host another PhotoPhilanthropist in November!

My personal update would be that I’ve been busy, doing site visits, giving health lessons at schools, saying goodbye to good friends, welcoming new friends, and really getting comfortable in my new home. Siobhan has been a tremendous help to this process too as she surprised me with a completely made over living room when I came home after a weekend in Antigua. She even made an excel sheet with all 620 books and plans to classify them! Also, I bought Scott’s bed after he left and now I’m sleeping like a rock instead of sleeping on a rock…

Thanks for being involved!

No comments: