23.7.10

Travel and Love

Well it´s about time for an update. I wanted to do one before it was over a month since my last one.
These guys played music at a school bathroom inauguration. Check out that hand carved violin!

Mom left teary eyed on July 3rd. I know she had a nice vacation and didn’t want it to end so that was nice. I watched Argentina lose horribly after her departure…which was when I cried.

The next day a great group of friends and I headed to Guate City for a Cultura Profetica concert. Cultura Profetica is a famous Puerto Rican reggae band. Like most things in Latin America this event was pretty poorly organized. Well let´s just say it´s probably the worst organized event I´ve been to in Latin America. Long story short is that we waited for them to arrive at the venue for over 6 hours…I think…I don’t actually want to remember how long we waited. By the time they got one we were all a little tired. But they are still a great band and I would see them again in a heartbeat!
Dani, Rose, me, Faby, and Claudia (couch surfing friend)
I picked up a great family at the airport and then brought them to Nebaj for a dedication to a school they helped build from their Rotary Club in Washington state. I had a really nice time with them as their one son was a Peace Corps volunteer in Paraguay in the 90s and had lots of great stories.

Then my French friend, Coralie, came to NEBAJ! Besides my mom she was my first visitor which made me super happy. We hiked to a well known cheese farm one afternoon and then she made a splendid crepe dinner for me and some friends.

I have finally made some great friends in Nebaj. There are a few Peace Corps volunteers here and Scott and John and I have really hit it off. They come over practically every other day to make dinner with me---super fun and leaves little time to get lonely.

Work is really picking up. I´m helping give some talks about water projects to Peace Corps volunteers at their meetings and doing lots of other projects at the same time. It´s all rather complicated but let me just tell you how great it makes me feel to be chipping away and little by little getting some good stuff done!

The biggest news is that Lynn has offered me an all paid for trip to Nicaragua the 3rd week of August. I get to go look what water projects they are doing in Nicaragua and share with them what we are doing here. Plus I get to see some family and friends in Nica, which I´m super excited about!

Before all of that though…I´m headed home for the first week of August for Ali´s wedding and a beach trip with the college roommates!! Super excited as well about that.

Life is pretty swell and I swear I can still find time for visitors!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love Cultura Profetica! They are one of my favs :) My friends from PR got me into them awhile back