6.2.10

never felt better





I've officially been living in Guatemala for over a week! It's been one of the most exciting and "right" experiences of my life. The minute I stepped off the plane I felt at home---the colors, tastes, sounds, etc. I can't begin to describe how well put together CasaSito (the ngo I'm working for) is. It's a family and I instantly felt like one of them. Greg has been slowly showing me the ropes of the water project and we have our first group coming Feb. 16th! Since we have the volunteers and means to do so, we are going to install two tanks back to back! Which means I'll be in Momos for two straight weeks working and learning. I'm very excited!!!

On the shuttle bus coming into Antigua I met Dave who works for Delta and traveled down here for a long weekend to visit some friends of his who work with a direct trade coffee project. We exchanged emails and he was kind enough to let me tag along and meet some of the people he knows who live here. Made lots of great contacts that way as well as got to hike Volcan Picaya---one of the only volcanoes in the world where you can see lava flowing at the top. It was a much harder hike than we all anticipated but somehow we made it despite the 80+ mph winds! Unfortunately, when we reached the top there was no lava in sight. Dave is determined to come back and see lava. I have a feeling I wont leave this country without climbing it again as well.

Here are some photos of the hike (of course I didnt charge my camera so this is all I could get) and one of the room I'm currently inhabiting. I'll be moving at the end of this month to my own mini-apartment/room.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I miss you and your incorrect grammar!